Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Why adopt???

Why are we adopting??? again??? Isn't 4 kids enough??? and 2 of them adopted??? Why adopt again??? Oh I wish that I had a gift with words so that I could do this question justice... Why? because there are children who need families. Why? because I've experienced firsthand, through the adoption of my youngest brother, the difference a family can make in the life of a child. Why? because I've been blessed immeasurably by the gift of growing my own family through adoption. Why? because children with special needs are children too. They deserve to have a family who loves them and values them and accepts them, a family who can provide the care that their biological family felt unable to provide. Why? because God says in his word to care for the orphans and widows, to *show* love...

In the late 1980's my family was living in Hong Kong, which is now technically part of Ch*na. One morning my mom was reading an article in the local newspaper about girls in HK who were facing crisis pregnancies (in the chinese culture at that time sex wasn't talked about, girls often didn't know how they got pregnant, how long they had been pregnant etc)... and how these dear girls were going across the border into Ch*na to have late term (third trimester) abortions. My parents hearts were broken hearing how these young, young, and I mean *young*, girls felt they had no option but to have an abortion (that or be disowned/kicked out of home/on the streets). As a result of this, my parents started Mother's Choice... an organization that provided an alternative for girls who found themselves in this situation. It was a place where these girls could choose. They could choose life, choose to give birth to their babies, choose to parent them or choose to release them for adoption... Mother's Choice provided support, counseling, a place to live, job training... and also provided a loving home for these precious children who were waiting to be adopted. This is where I grew up. I grew up around precious girls who courageously chose life for their unborn babies, around precious girls who courageously chose to parent these little ones, around precious girls who courageously chose to release their children for adoption... This is where my heart for orphans was born.

We have adopted 2 precious children so far and are in the process of bringing home our 3rd (with 2 biological kids that makes 5 altogether! eek!)... who knows if this will be our last ;-) All we know is that we are trying to live out a life of obedience, a life of love, a life that shows that each and every life is valued, treasured, purposed. Adoption is not easy (and I'm not talking about the paperwork,or the waiting), there's lots of pain and heartache and difficulty in it but it is without a doubt oh.so.worth.it. Each of my children are worth it. 

PS If you're interested in reading more about by parent's story you can get my Dad's book HERE.
http://waitingforafather.com/


No comments:

Post a Comment